[PHC] Slides for PHC talk
Peter Gutmann
2016-01-14 03:15:36 UTC
A month or two back I did a talk on the PHC, not so much the technical side
but a backgrounder on the problem that had to be solved and the process that
arose from it. In case they're useful to anyone, I've put the slides up at
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/phc.pdf:

The secure storage of passwords on servers has been a long-standing problem
that rears its head again and again. In 2013 a group of security people lead
by cryptographer Jean-Philippe Aumasson initiated the Password Hashing
Competition (PHC), an attempt to design a new, state-of-the-art password-
processing algorithm using the competitive process that gave us AES and
SHA-3. The Password Hashing Competition looks at the recently-completed PHC
process, both from the technical side (it inspired enormous advances in the
state of the art in password-processing design) as well as the ins and outs
of running a competitive process to select an algorithm that has to
withstand attack by CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs, and ASICs (think Bitcoin miners), not
to mention a peanut gallery of geeks all over the world. The focus of the
talk is more on the mechanisms of the selection process and the decisions
and tradeoffs that were made than on the low-level technical details.

Peter.